In the wake of the beautifully shot documentary on Netflix with the legend Sir David Attenborough (if you have not yet watched, you absolutely have to- it is mind blowingly sad and equally inspiring), I can't think of a better time to surface the Seekology range of eco-friendly brands and encourage small changes to your lifestyle that make a difference. Now we know not everyone can make drastic changes (as this is not realistic), but small steps count if everyone gets involved. Here are the my main10 changes that I have found easy to integrate into my day to day life 9though I have done more):
1. I have a little dog called Yohji and I subscribed to Adios Plastic poo bag service, which are ocean friendly. Shop here
2. I also subscribed to Smol laundry detergent and dishwasher, who deliver thorugh your letter box, who are eco-conscious. Shop here.
3. I shop locally from small business wherever possible and have started to try to buy in-season vegetables.
4. I have reduced my meat intake by around half and have started to cook more vegetable based meals. I love the Happy Meal cookbook by Bettina Campolucci Bordi (beautiful photography, so also looks great in the kitchen).
5. I collect rainwater in my watering cans in the garden to water my indoor plant collection and make sure I turn taps off at all times when I am not using the water (for example, when I brush my teeth).
6. I have massively reduced my purchasing habits (I can't believe the amount I used to spend on clothes and shoes, working in luxury fashion) and try now to only buy items I really love and know I will use forever. It makes them more special.
7. I recycle wherever I can and am investigating putting a compost bin in my garden.
8. I grow some of my own vegetables and herbs despite living in an urban London area- it's easier than you think!
9. I try to walk wherever I can and try not to use public transport if going distances under 45 mins.
10. I follow loads of inspiring people on instagram for help keep me motivated and remind myself the good that making these changes bring. For example, Hayley Woodruff (a south west London vegan personal trainer), Au Bespoke Studio (a stunning edit of vintage furniture) and The Newt London (a sustainable working estate in Somerset which i am DYING to visit)
Many of the brands we sell here on the Seekology platform and in-store in Richmond are 100% committed to using ingredients that are earth-friendly, as well as considering their packaging and manufacturing process. Several also produce in small batches and are created here in the UK. I caught up with a few of our Founders to hear what they have to say about being kind to our planet and how their products mirror this.
Below are only a few of the sustainable ranges Seekology offer and they are all independent small businesses. For me, it was also about making small changes. Here are a few thoughts from Founders of the brands:
Why did Sue from Kind2 develop her brand?
"Seeing plastic pollution firsthand is what motivated me to start KIND2. Even if you don’t care about it as much as I do, you know it’s a problem and it’s hard to ignore. We set out to create a brand that is a positive force for change and prove that planet friendly haircare doesn’t have to be a compromise. It’s great to see consumers and so many brands leading the way with an increasing focus on not just green beauty, but also more eco-friendly packaging. I’m excited about what the next year will bring and to be honest, working on a business with a purpose that you really believe in, doesn’t feel like work at all"
Who are Fable Yoga?
Created by yogis for yogis we've created a collection of eco-conscious yoga mats to support you through every part of your practice. Designed by a picky practicioner, we've considered all the small details that we know will make a big difference to your yoga practice. Extra length and width for more space and superior grip for the ultimate support leaving you to focus on well, you. Your practice, your story. Sustainability is at the heart of all of our decision making from product to packaging. We plant a tree with our friends at Tree Nation for each yoga mat sold. Watch their brand video here.
Why was haircare brand Ksoni born?
Ksoni means "Earth" in Sanskrit - and our individual experiences tackling plastic waste and its impact on the earth inspired us to start this business together. For Joti it was witnessing an immense amount of plastic waste during a dive trip in South East Asia in 2017 after several years working in large consulting firms with huge eco footprints. She returned to the UK with a renewed drive to cut plastic out of her life after seeing first-hand the impact it is having on our beautiful oceans. After making a number of easy changes in the kitchen like cutting out single-use plastic bags and using refillable cleaning products, she realised that there are very limited options to cut plastic in the bathroom, especially in the shower.
For Banasa it was working in health & wellness businesses throughout her career. She observed growing numbers of consumers who wanted to purchase products that made a positive impact on the environment but felt they were lacking in options that actually worked for their diverse bodies or lifestyles. Having made her own natural shampoos and conditioners for several years, she also wanted to overcome the stigma around eco-friendly products being of lesser quality than their mass produced counterparts.
When we first met in 2018, we immediately hit it off and within months had decided we would launch a natural beauty brand together, setting ourselves a huge challenge to launch a 100% plastic-free product, which is no easy feat in the bathroom! From there Ksoni was born.
Who are East London based Palm of Feronia?
Feronia is the ancient Roman goddess associated with wildlife, fertility, health, healing and abundance. Founded by Sophia Harding, Palm of Feronia was brought together through a passion for clean, organic and earth-derived ingredients with a proven history of positive effects for not only the skin, but emotional, physical and spiritual well-being. Each ingredient is carefully sourced for sustainability and maximum therapeutic effect, not for look or smell. We preserve all products naturally and encourage transparency of ingredients - we want you to know what you’re putting on your skin and its purpose. Naturally vegan, cruelty free and unspoiled. Native and un-modern skincare. Hand-blended in small batches in south east London.
I hope you have enjoyed reading a little about the changes i have made, where i find my inspiration and how Seekology supports small independent eco-conscious brands
- Heather Ross