With restrictions easing and summer in full effect, it’s time for the summer holiday season… although not as we know it! Given all the uncertainty more of us than ever are choosing to holiday in the UK this year. A government survey found that 44% of Brits said they are keen to take a leisure trip domestically in the next 12 months, and only one in three plan to venture abroad (YouGov).
We’ve got some great ideas for you, from the best sustainable travel essentials to how to pack light as well as some of our top tips to survive the heat.
Sustainable Beauty Swaps
Often when going on holiday we get our beauty essentials in travel sizes, however the smaller sized products can waste a lot of plastic and are not great for our environment. If you also don’t want to be contributing to the islands of plastic in the oceans, like the one in the North Pacific that is now about three times the size of France (or 1.6 million square km), read on for our best sustainable swaps:
1. Switch your travel size shampoo and conditioner for a more sustainable solid shampoo bar? Not only do they contain zero plastic, but also last about twice as long as your average shampoo bottle and also, it’s one less liquid you’ll have to pack. Our favourites are the Kind2 solid bars, like the Hydrating Shampoo Bar and the Restoring Conditioner Bar.
2. A similar principle applies for the Shampoo and Body Bars by No Secrets Beauty. Available in four different scents, they are sure to leave you smelling and feeling fresh. Discover the full No Secrets range here.
3. When on holiday you want to look and feel your best, so why not try this Facial in a Box Travel Set by Meadow Botanical? All products are waterless, natural, botanical, 100% vegan and in sustainable packaging, plus made here in the UK.
Sun Care staycation essentials
As much as we love the summer glow, we all know by now that the sun is damaging for our skin, so we must protect ourselves.
One of our favourites at Seekology is the Sea & Sun Formula SPF 50 by Saltee. All Saltee products are vegan, cruelty free and all packaging is made from recycled materials. But the best thing, besides protecting your skin from UVA and UVB rays, is that it’s 100% Oxybenzone-free, and so if it gets into the water, it doesn’t harm our oceans. Read more about the harm of Oxybenzone here.
Another of our Sun Care favourites is the SPF 30 lip balm by Albus & Flora. Whether you prefer yours with a hint of colour or without - these lip balms will keep your lips nourished with essential oils and protected from UVA and UVB rays. Seekology’s founder Rebecca is a fan of both the Naked Flora SPF 30 Lip Balm, great as a primer or on its own without any colour, and the Snowberry Red SPF 30 Lip Balm with just a touch of red for a very subtle colour.
Keeping cool during a British heatwave
The British weather has been a bit “all over the place”, but there have definitely been times where we’re struggling to cool. From face mists to all natural deodorants, read on for our recommendations to beat the heat when you’re on holiday.
1. Try Rosalena Goodness & Tonic Face Mist packed with botanicals that are sure to keep you and your skin fresh and hydrated - its fresh, lemony fragrance will leave you feeling ready for a day of sightseeing or on the beach.
2. We love the Cotton Fresh Natural Deodorant Cream by Evolve Beauty. It is vegan and blended with Organic Shea Butter and Coconut Oil, with Kaolin, Bicarbonate of Soda and natural essential oils to deliver effective and long lasting freshness whilst Sage Oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Last but not least on our list for things to keep you cool this heatwave - Haoma’s Organic Foot and Shoe Spray. An energising and cleansing certified organic blend of Witch Hazel with essential oils including Cedarwood, Tea Tree, Lavender and Citronella helps you keep active and free of odour-causing bacteria. It also contains natural antibacterial ingredients for hot days walking around town!
Thanks for reading - we hope you enjoyed our Staycation Blog post and that you have a super Summer.
Rebecca and the Seekology Team